Welcome to the Gallery

 

Iver High St from St Peters TowerSwan Inn

The centre of Iver Village, seen here from the tower of the parish church, is a conservation area.

On the north west of its central crossroads, the picturesque SWAN INN was built over 400 years ago.

St Peter's ChurchThe Parish church dedicated to ST PETER has a nave of Saxon work and many interesting and sometimes strange memorials. A monument from 1631 is to Lady Mary Salter. The Lady is shown rising in her half-shroud from her black coffin with the inscription:
  "O death where is thy stinge
    O grave where is thy victory"

A memorial is to Admiral Gambier the architect of 1794 "Glorious First of June". After his service for his country, the Admiral retired to Iver to grow pansies.

St Peters and St Leonards Church

Bridgefoot House

To the east towards the Colne is the early Georgian BRIDGEFOOT HOUSE where the architect Bodley lived from 1895 to 1905. It has a very fine wrought iron gate and screen.

 

 

Iver Grove

To the west of Iver Village is IVER GROVE in the former hamlet of Shreding Green. This is a very fine Baroque house and may have been the work of Nicholas Hawskmoor and is typical of the style of Sir Christopher Wren's office of works, notably the West front's three bay pediment on a giant Doric pilaster.

There are many other signs of the history of Iver and the time when there were country houses built in private parks. The names sometimes survive in street or road names such as Bangors and Huntsmoor, visited by Samuel Pepys and John Evelyn. The dower house of Huntsmoor was Bridgefoot.

Coppins

COPPINS to the North of Iver Village has over 600 years of history. The present house is from the nineteenth century built by John Mitchell who arranged the theatre visits made by Queen Victoria and the Prince of Wales (Edward V11). The royal connection continued, as it later became the home of the Duke and Duchess of Kent until 1972. The Kents continue their close connection with Iver, and there was a visit by Princess Alexandra in 2000 with her husband.

Other historic houses are Delaford Manor and Thorney House.

 

St Margaret's Church Iver Heath

St. Margaret’s church in Iver Heath was built in 1862. The east window of the church depicts both St Margaret’s and St. Peter’s churches because before 1862 Iver Heath was the northern part of the ecclesiastical parish of St. Peter’s Iver. The window was designed by Martin Travers, a noted glass-painter and designer. The gilded reredos was also designed by him. The architect of the church was also responsible for Heatherden Hall, now part of Pinewood Studios.

St Margaret of Antioch, Iver Heath

 

Pinewood Studios

Pinewood Studios in Iver Heath has been host to a succession of box office hits from the Carry On films to James Bond.

Situated in the grounds of an old Victorian manor house, Pinewood Studios has been a leading destination for film makers since opening its doors

as a film studio in 1936.

Black ParkRiver Colne

 

Iver is situated in some of the most beautiful      countryside in Buckinghamshire.

Black Park and the Colne Valley are typical.

 

The other churches in Iver

 
St Leonard's Church Richings Park
    St Andrew's Church Richings Park

St Leonard's
St Leonards Walk, Richings Park

 

King's Church
High Street, Iver

 

St Andrew's
Richings Way, Richings Park

         

The Public Houses in the parish

         
The Bull   The Chequers   The Red Lion

The Bull
High Street, Iver


The Chequers
High Street, Iver


The Red Lion
Langley Park Road, Iver

         
The North Star   The Tower Arms   The Black Horse

The North Star
Thorney Mill Road,

Richings Park


The Tower Arms
Thorney Lane, Richings Park


The Black Horse
Bangors Road North,

Iver Heath

         
The Stag & Hounds   The Whip & Collar   The Crooked Billet

The Stag and Hounds
Church Road,

Iver Heath

 

The Whip and Collar
Swallow Street,

Iver Heath

 

The Crooked Billet
The Five Points,

Iver Heath

         

Copyright and Disclaimer